5 Lessons Learned: Income

What to Do to Get W-2 from an Old Job

An individual has a personal responsibility over filing tax returns within the appropriate time as required by the Internal Revenue Service. Getting the W-2 form is a significant part of filing the tax returns since it provides the required information on the previous year’s income from employment. An employer has the responsibility of filling a W-2 form and submitting a copy of this to the IRS and the employee by 31 January every year. Employees use a W-2 form in filing their tax returns for the year. When one quits their job, it is still necessary that the employer gets them the W-2 form to be used in the filing of returns. Due to this, it is necessary that one is aware of what they need to do to get a W-2 form from the previous employer to comply with the requirements of the IRS to file their tax returns by April 15. This article will give you insights on how you can get a W-2 form from an earlier employer.

One can wait until the deadline for the submission of the W-2 form to come so that the former employer can submit the needed W-2 form. One can also explore the option of asking the employer to submit the W-2 earlier, in which case the employer must provide it within 30 days of placing the request.

When the W-2 doesn’t get to you by 14th February, it is necessary that one takes measures to get the W-2 from the previous employer. The requirement for this is because you will still need to file your tax returns within the set timeframe despite the time when you get the W-2. You can ask your former HR representative to provide the W-2 form for you. For a company without an HR representative, you can contact the boss directly to get your W-2 form. Make sure that the address you give is correct so that it gets to you.

One can contact their previous payroll administrator to get the W-2 form. You may be required to confirm the necessary details of your employment as well as confirming your current address. In a situation where the payroll administrator has already mailed the W-2 form, you can ask for confirmation of the date, and you may also request for a replacement form.

One can also contact the IRS if the methods above do not work. It can be easier to get the needed assistance when you can get your former company’s employer identification number, your salary and wages information and relevant details about your employer. The IRS can contact the employer and request the missing form and can issue you with a form to fill out.

The Beginner’s Guide to Taxes

What Do You Know About Income